Monday, June 16, 2014

Better Late then Never-Letter and Pictures from May 31, 2014

First, I must apologize for how long it took me to post this letter. This is a letter and pictures we received on May 31, 2014. Life has been a little hectic, so it took me a while to get everything done. I am very sorry for the delay. I hope you enjoy his letter and all of the pictures we got this time.

Hola Familia,

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well back home. I know I've said it a few times (still not enough), but you guys are amazing! Thank you Mom and Dad for all of your sacrifices on behalf of us, your kids. It means so much. I realize now how ungrateful/unobservant I was before the mission. 

Every time I look back to any moment in my childhood, I see the difficult things you had to do, the hard times you persevered through, the sacrifice; but it never affected my happiness or the love that you showed to me. I was so blessed to have an easy childhood. Being here "in the real world" (or at least the closest I've been to it) on my own and far away; I've seen other families, home situations, and the lack of a stable parental environment and it has been very hard to see honestly. It has made me think a lot recently about what does it meant to have two loving dedicated parents. 

This week we (I, Elder Gallagher, Elder Muñoz, and Elder Hansen) went to the house of an investigator of Elder Gallagher and Elder Hansen, named Roberto. He is 73ish yrs old, living with his 6 yr old  grandson Alex. They have passed through alot of trials in life. 


Roberto & Alex

Roberto was married to a member of the church, but about 10 years ago she died. After that, one of his children had Alex then stepped out of the picture leaving him with the grandpa Roberto. Recently, in the last two years, Roberto had a stroke leaving the left part of his body severely affected. And all this time caring for Alex (he reminds me alot of Will). 

Now he's a lot better health-wise, can walk to a point, but it is still a struggle to do lots of the basic household tasks. Now he is listening to the lessons and wants to eventually be sealed to his wife (a faithful member while she was living) in the temple. 

Roberto is a great man, but it was very obvious that he was in need of a lot of help. So the other Elders organized a service activity with the Elders Quorum to help him do some deep cleaning in his house. The activity was great. He was in need of a lot of help.

The ward is being very helpful in making him feel loved. I think the Relief Society will also be playing a fairly large part in the future in helping this lovely family. 

About the Pictures:

So this last p-day we went to Ciudad Vieja to go see some of the most popular sights in Montevideo. 

It's not a huge city but it has a beautiful older neighborhood.


A lot of the spanish and Italian Influence is seen in the buildings and in the streets.

This is a cool building in Montevideo--Ben did not know the name of the building but liked the way it looked


This is the most touristy area in Montevideo. 

The Feria (fair) is where you can purchase many items. These are gourds that are for sale in the Feria
José Gervasio Artigas Arnal (June 19, 1764 – September 23, 1850) is a national hero of Uruguay, sometimes called "the father of Uruguayan nationhood"

This is the monument of Artigas

Ben by the monument of Artigas in the Plaza Independencia

According to Wikipedia, Artigas was exiled to Paraguay in 1820 and he died in 1850, at age 86. It is said that Artigas, feeling himself to be near death, asked for a horse and died in the saddle, as a gaucho. His remains were buried and then re-interned at the Panteón Nacional in 1855. On the 19th of June, 1977, his remains were transferred to the Artigas Mausoleum in the centre of the Plaza Independencia. 

From the plaza with the Artigas statue you're about a 3 min walk away from the beach. This is technicaly out of our mission but because we always have to come here to go to the bank or to deal with card problems President Cook lets us go on p-day if we want because it's practically our area.

Well, I love you guys so much!

With Love Élder Taylor

Here are some other pictures Ben sent this week to show us where he is living.

This is a look down the street in his neighborhood
This is the view towards the ocean from Ben's apartment window





This is his apartment building (the tall one)

No comments:

Post a Comment