Monday, February 3, 2014

Cambios--New Trainer Elder Ve'e

Ben has a new companion this week. He also shares a new favorite scripture I have included at the bottom of the email. Ben will mention his cousin Dallin, who is serving a mission right now too. I have included a link to his blog if you would like to read some of the recent posts that Ben refers to in this letter. I have also figured out how to allow comments (Ben would be so proud of me). Feel free to post comments--hopefully it really works!

Hi Dad, Mom, Justin, Lily, Will, Lucy, & Spike

So this week was absolutely crazy. We had cambios (transfers or exchanges) this week and now I have a new trainer. His name is Elder Ve'e (pronounced vey-ey). 

Just to clear up some misinformation from my previous email, he is from California. Both of his parents are from Samoa. He was raised speaking Samoan, but now only understands a little. He has been in the mission a little under a year, and all the locals say he has almost no accent. I agree, his castellano (pronounced cas-ti-shaw-no--the word they use here for EspaƱol) is fantastic. 

Since he is the new one in the area, I am the only one with any experience in the area. I've had to make all the plans, find our way around the town, point out members. It's been really stressful. I can't wait until I'm familiar enough with the area I don't get us lost every 30 minutes. It certainly has been a learining experience. 

I was reading those letters from Dallin and immediately thought of how nervous Aunt Jen probably is. (Ben's cousin is serving a mission in the Marshall Islands and has recently arrived in country after several days of travel to get to his destination. Shortly after arriving, he found out his first area will be in another ward on another island about 2000 miles away, so much more travel to come. He has gotten very sick from the water and other issues they have to deal with. There is also much poverty in the islands and he described his first impressions with much honesty. I know that it will be an eye opening experience for him and a lot different than how he has been raised. I look forward to following him as his mission progresses. If you would like to see more about Dallin, go to his blog here. )Mom, don´t worry. Montevideo is only like that in this respect; some houses are 4 cement walls with corrugated metal as a roof. But for the majority of the other things he talked about, No. 

Elder Seguine is tough and will be fine, I´m sure. What an experience!

In other news, Spanish just started clicking recently. I can confidently say that I understand probably 97% of everything. My speaking is probably about 40% there.

I love you guys!! I wish you guys the best.

Elder Taylor

P.S. My new favorite scripture to share with people

2 Nephi 33:6,10,11

6 I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell.
10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.
11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye--for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment